Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Strings & Things!

This is THE ONE I’ve been working on as I worked on all the others in the past 2 months or so.  Although it was a lot of work I think it was really worthwhile; in fact, I think it’s my best quilt so far!

Very much a scrappy quilt, the auditioning and choices made of which fabrics to use together probably took the most time!  I made enough rejected blocks to make another quilt out of, but went on to make these choices block by block.  As you can see the colorway is quite different from the ordinary but I did persist to make it work – I do love to solve problems, perhaps the main work of any artist.

I wanted it to be unique and made just to suit myself and I think I accomplished my goal quite successfully!  It has a lively colorway, yet is fairly monochromatic.  There is a balance of harmony and tension

For the first time I used wool batting and loved quilting it.  Each block is Free motion stitched in a different pattern. I have not even washed it yet and it looks as defined as a washed quilt. It’s about an 80 inch square and made almost entirely of commercial fabrics.

It's also my first Quilt As You Go.  You can see the method I used here on youtube  or here at ludlowquiltandsew.


Strings & Things hanging on the clothesline with the sun showing through it.

Detail of Finished Quilt On Design Wall
 

Sundappled Back of Strings & Things.


Detail of one block.
You can see this quilt at the Lowell Quilt Festival!

APPLETON MILLS
 

219 Jackson Street, Lowell MA 01852
 
Admission: FREE
Quilts from the Boston Modern Quilt Guild
Gallery Night Reception
Friday, August 9, 5pm - 8pm

FREE admission to all venues on gallery night!  Hope To See You There!

 

2 comments: