Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Year



Happy New Year! 
 
It's sunny and bright here today - I choose to view it as a good omen!
 
I must say I had a good time snow dyeing and I'm pretty happy with the results of my first time experiments, so I'm glad to share some pics with you!

 
Right:  I used Cerulean Blue, Chinese Red and deep Hansa Yellow for this one and simply layed it down and scrunched it up to fit the size of the dishpan, layed on a pile of snow, squirted the dye and let it melt and set for about  8 hours.  It was cold in the garage so it took awhile.





 To the right: this is a long, narrow length of fabric that I just wrung around pretty tightly and layed down without tieing or binding it up. Because there was so much fabric in places, the dye didn't cover the whole piece. 
Below that is a detail of this same piece with what seems like the "typical" snow dye effect.

This piece, to the left, is more of a snow dyed shibori.  I twisted it up tightly and tied it off repeatedly until the whole length of fabric was twisted and tied, about 5 or 6 times, so it left lots of white undyed.



 

 Detail of the same shibori. I love the dark, intense colors along with the white!


Like my new outfit?  When I opened up these pieces, I could see that the entire underside was still white because the sweatpants were so thick, the dye hadn't penetrated so I just turned it over and left it for another 6 hours and it turned out perfect! 
 


I love the colors and the pattern, and in this case, that it covered the whole outfit!  A great fun way to start a new year!

Now, I better go clean up after myself and get upstairs. 

I have a lot of carving to do! I've drawn up my design for the 2013 year of the Snake print.

 
 
And I have to hit the drawing board for yet another print edition along the lines of light/dark and dreams/fantasies!
 
 

8 comments:

  1. I love the outfit! Snow dyeing is so much fun. lack of urea didn't seem to hurt your results. I hadn't thought about using clothing blanks. I have some tshirts around here somewhere.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy! No, it didn't seem to matter at all. Maybe I won't even bother ordering the urea. Someone else said it wasn't necessary in our climate.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dang,what happened? I was just saying "Terrific results Janis"

      Delete
  3. PS You look so pleased and happy in the newly dyed outfit, you should make that your FB icon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! your fabric looks awesome. The very first one is my most favorite. Would make a lovely skirt or blouse.

    Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! The patterns are much more than I expected! I thi nk I'm partial to the red, whitw and blue shibori pattern. But, oddly enough, that middle piece that's noty so imperessive looking, turns out to be the most promising in terms of an art quilt. There some very nice color and patterning with lots of room to add further art interest to.

    ReplyDelete